Monday 17 March 2014

Trevor the Honking Heron

Sometimes you see something, you're not quite sure what's happening, but you take a couple of snaps just in case it turns out to be interesting or unusual. That - more by luck than judgement - is what has occurred in this instance.

I saw the Heron crossing the lake, it's head was down and bill open, so I assumed it was carrying something and took a couple of photos.

When I examined the pictures I realised it was not carrying anything - but was in fact, ejecting the indigestible elements of earlier meals in the form of a large pellet.

Better out than in

I know many birds bring up pellets comprising of varying combinations of fur, feather, bones, claws and even fish scales depending on their dining habits.

Over the last few years, I have had the opportunity to poke around in the undissolved  bits of owl, raptor and even kingfisher meals, usually found in the form of small round or oblong pellets, but  it had never occurred to me that Grey Herons also have a need to get rid of the bits their digestive juices can't manage.

The Heron is well know for it's catholic tastes when it comes to shovelling things down it capacious bill. If you consider that, along with fish, it will also glup down, amphibians, reptiles, small birds and rodents, I suppose it should come as no surprise, there must be some fairly solid material to be disposed off in the less than conventional manner. 

I don't know if ejecting pellets on the wing is a common occurrence, but I guess it would make sense that many birds might want to leave this material away from the nest or roost so as not to attract predators. Having said that, I suspect that there are not many hunters who fancy taking on a pretty evil looking bird with a 12 inch spear for a mouth.

1 comment:

  1. Nice shot. Since all the birds eat in a hurry they need to get out the indigestion part to keep them healthy.

    ReplyDelete